Saturday, April 14, 2012

Book Review: Radiant Shadows by Melissa Marr





Title: Radiant Shadows
Series/Sequel? Fourth of the Wicked Lovely Series, followed by Darkest Mercy
Author: Melissa Marr
Genres: Paranormal Romance
Age Level: YA (13-18)
Page Count: 340 (Hardcover)  
Summary from inside flap of book: Hunger for nourishment. Hunger for touch. Hunger to belong. Half-human and half-faery, Ani is driven by her hungers. 

Those same appeties also attract powerful enemies and uncertain allies, including Devlin. He was created as an assassin and is brother to the faeries' coolly logical High Queen and to her chaotic twin, the embodiment of War. Devlin wants to keep Ani safe from his sisters, knowing that if he fails, he will be the instrument of Ani's death. 

Ani isn't one to be guarded while others fight battles for her, though. She has the courage to protect herself and the ability to alter Devlin's plans - and his life. The two are drawn together, each with reason to fear the other and to fear for one another. But as they grow closer, a larger threat imperils the whole of Faerie. Will saving the faery world mean losing each other? 
 
 Review: This book... did things I did not believe possible. I will not tell you what exactly it did, because that would be a spoiler, but...

You first hear about Devlin in Fragile Eternity, and I didn't really like him. I found him creepy and not having the mental capacities to think on his own. But in this... reading from his POV... seeing how he viewed things... seeing how he treated Ani... changed that. I found out why he had served Sorcha such, and found how he had other wants and needs. I got to also see him begin to grow a backbone, got to see him make his own choices, for the things HE wanted in life... as opposed to the things that Sorcha wanted.

I really liked Ani. She was such an awesome, kick butt heroine. She refused to be treated like she was weak, stood up against Bananach and Gabriel and Sorcha. And I loved and admired her for it. I also liked how, even though she was becoming fey, she managed to keep her humanity, and be concerned for Devlin and the other she loved. I liked how she did her best to not hurt anyone because of her hungers, how she did her best keeping them controlled even as she was slowly starving.

Rae was also very interesting to read about as well. I've heard and read of dreamwalkers before, but she was one of the first you got to really explore in depth. Her relationship with Devlin was sweet as well, and I found it nice how, even though she had feelings for Devlin, she let him and Ani be together. I respected her for that.

But Irial... oh, Irial! I don't want to do spoilers, but... let's just say that something happens to Irial, leaving him in life-threatening conditions... I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO DIE! EVEN IF HE'S THE FORMER DARK COURT KING I LOVED HIM!... So you'll have to read it to find out if he survives or not. :D

And then the thing I was freaking out at in the beginning... AHHH! I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT ANI AND DEVLIN MANAGED TO DO THAT! I can't wait to read the next book, to see where everything that has happened in the faery world changes relationships and courts and AHHH! I AM SO EXCITED TO READ IT!

Rating: 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! It makes my day every time I get a new comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...