Monday, April 30, 2012

Book Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins


Title: Lola and the Boy Next Door
Series/Sequel? No
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Genres: Realistic Fiction, Romance
Age Level: YA
Page Count: 338 (Hardcover)

Summary from Goodreads:  Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.


Review: So, I read Anna and the French Kiss, by Stephanie Perkins. I lurved it. I found out there was a companion. I walked into my library on Monday and found this waiting for me on the "New" shelf!

This book is different than Anna and the French Kiss. There are some similarities, though. It's almost like they are the same book, just with different events happening in different places and orders.

I liked how each character in this book had their own thing. Inventing for Cricket, fashion for Lola, baking for Andy, figure skating for Calliope. Each person sticks to their thing, and is really good at their thing, and their thing influences their character. I respect Stephanie Perkins for being able to differentiate her characters so.

I liked Lola's relationship with her dads. I thought it was cute and nice and cool and sweet how, even though they weren't her real parents and they were gay, they still had a very familial relationship. I also thought Andy and Nathan (her dads) were funny and sweet and cute in their own right.

I liked how Anna and St. Clair (from Anna and the French Kiss) made and appearance in this book. They were so cute, and I was glad to see more of them. I liked how, with their love, they helped Lola deal with her relationship problems, through listening ad advice.

I've already said this, but I loved how much each character's thing influenced the plot as well, and not just the characters. I liked how Lola's ability with a sewing needle saved the day.(You'll have to read the book to know what I'm talking about.)I liked reading about each of her ensembles, how they sometimes matched what she was doing that day, and how each one was so unique. It was also interesting to read how the other characters reacted to her outfits.

I didn't like Max at all. I had no idea why Lola was even with him. He was rude and mean, and I don't think Lola should have even been with him in the first place. But I guess it worked out in the end. :)

I don't think I like this book as much as Anna and the French Kiss (because I can't' help comparing the two). I'm not sure why. I can't really pinpoint the reason. But if you liked Anna and the French Kiss and/or Sarah Dessen, I would suggest it, because there is no doubt in my mind you will enjoy it!

Rating:


1 comment:

  1. These books look oh so cute, but my library doesn't have them. *pouts*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! It makes my day every time I get a new comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...