Saturday, April 21, 2012

Book Review: Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner


Title: Bones of Faerie
Series/Sequel? First of the series, followed by Faerie Winter
Author: Janni Lee Simner
Genres: Scifi/Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic, Paranormal
Age Level: YA (12-18)
Page Count: 256 (Paperback)

Summary from Goodreads: The war between humanity and Faerie devastated both sides. Or so 15-year-old Liza has been told. Nothing has been seen or heard from Faerie since, and Liza’s world bears the scars of its encounter with magic. Trees move with sinister intention, and the town Liza calls home is surrounded by a forest that threatens to harm all those who wander into it. Then Liza discovers she has the Faerie ability to see—into the past, into the future—and she has no choice but to flee her town. Liza’s quest will take her into Faerie and back again, and what she finds along the way may be the key to healing both worlds.

Review:The plot of this book was very interesting. I've never even thought of something like this - a mix of dystopian/post-apocalyptic and faery/paranormal. It was an incredibly unique plot line and approach to faeries and faery magic. However, everything else left a little to be desired.

It was written in first person, but it read more as third person - detached and not as emotional or easy-to-be-interested-in-the-characters. So, I was less than impressed with the actual characters. They were fairly two-dimensional.

I also found some problems with the actual writing. There were a lot of times when I didn't know what had just happened, when I thought something happened that actually didnt, or where the characters made strange jumps that I didn't understand.

So, if you can deal with not very clear writing and want a very unique plot line, I would suggest it. However if you're more like me and need very 3-D characters, I wouldn't suggest it for you, because it will be a waste of your time.

Rating: 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! It makes my day every time I get a new comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...