Monday, April 9, 2012

Book Review: Carter Finally Gets It by Brent Crawford


Title: Carter Finally Gets It
Series/Sequel? Followed by Carter's Big Break
Author: Brent Crawford
Genres: Realistic Fiction, Romance
Age Level: YA (13-18)
Page Count: 300
Summary from back of book: Join Carter for his freshman year, where he'll search for sex, love and acceptance anywhere he can find it. In the process, he'll almost kill a trombone player, face off against his greatest nemesis, get caught up in a messy love triangle, suffer a lot of blood loss, narrowly escape death, run from the cops (not once, but twice), meet his match in the form of a curvy drill teamer, and surprise the hell out of everyone, including himself. 

Warning: 
This book contains lewd humor, underage drinking, illicit fantasizing, and very bad decision-making.

Review: This was a book I read for book group, and so I was kind of required to read it. If not, I never would have picked it up. On the back of this book, there are also three quotes from reviews, all stating this book as hilarious. And it might of been hilarious...

If I was a fourteen-year-old guy. 

But I'm not, and so that probably leaked some of the humor from the book. Most of the time, in fact, I was debating with myself whether or not guys actually think like this, are that concerned with the things that Carter was concerned about. Which pretty much filtered to two things: sex and coolness level. I did find it amusing, however, some of the solutions Carter got himself into, and the way he handled it. I thought it was amusing how he was gullible and willing to do anything to get himself a girl. 

This book was written in first person in Carter's POV, which scored it brownie points. 

If you are a teenage boy - or a male adult, wanting to look back on childhood - I would suggest this book. You will (possibly) be able to relate. (I say possibly because I have no idea what actually goes on in the minds of the male species.) If you are a teenage girl wanting to shake your head because of the obvious idiocy of teenage guys, I would also suggest it. However, if you want something deep and meaningful and romantic and poignant... I would say skip it. 

Rating:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! It makes my day every time I get a new comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...