Monday, April 16, 2012

Book Review: A Beautful Dark by Jocelyn Davies



Title: A Beautiful Dark
Series/Sequel? First in a series, followed by A Fractured Light
Author: Jocelyn Davies
Genres: Paranormal Romance
Age Level: YA (12-18)
Page Count: 390 (Hardcover)
Summary from inside flap of book: On the night of Skye's seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites - like fire and ice - Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye's life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want or why they seem to follow her every move - only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt just not the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past. 

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can't help falling for, and Devin, who she can't stay away from, the consequences of Skye's choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine. 

Review: I got this out of my library just because I recognized the cover from a book blog I read. If I had taken the time to actually read the summary, I probably wouldn't have bothered checking it out, because I knew who Asher and Devin were upon reading it. Or I should probably say WHAT they were.

And let me also say, upon reading and actually finding more out about the plot, I was wrong in what I thought they were. Kinda. They were what I thought they were... but there was also more to it. There was more to the plot and the characters than what I thought.

The writing was phenomenal. Very, very, enjoyable to read. It was written in first person, and I greatly enjoyed reading from Skye's perspective. She was down to earth and believable.

I liked her.

The plot was slow at the very beginning. Soon enough in the plot, however, the plot began picking up. It was fast in the right places, slow in the right places. At times, things happened that I didn't expect, new characters appeared even though I hadn't expected it.

I loved how each character had a specific personality. Asher was very bad boy, Devin was very responsible, Callie was very shallow, Skye was down to earth, shy, and kinda goody-two-shoes. I was impressed that the author was able to do that.

All in all, a very enjoyable, if not slightly predictable read. If I see the sequel in my library, I will be sure to check it out!


Rating: 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! It makes my day every time I get a new comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...