Monday, April 9, 2012

Book Review: Illuminated by Erica Orloff


Title: Illuminated
Series/Sequel? No
Author: Erica Orloff
Genre: Romance
Age Level: YA (12-18)
Page Count: 244 
Summary from back of book: Like Romeo and Juliet, Heloise and Abelard were doomed from the start, and their romance was destined to pass into history. Yet when sixteen-year-old Callie Martin discovers a diary hidden within an antique book, their story - and hers - takes on another life. For the diary leads Callie to the brilliant and handsome August, who is just as mysterious as the secret hidden within the pages. The attraction between the two in undeniable. And as the truth behind the diary - and that of Heloise and Abelard's ancient romance - is unveiled, their romance becomes all-consuming. Will their love - a love that burns as bright as a shooting star - flame out? Or will these star-crossed lovers be able to defy history? 

Review: I normally come up with my own summary, but I have three book reviews to do today, and a HUGE pile of homework waiting to be done. Ahh, spring break :) But my thoughts on this book:

This book was written in first person, from Callie's POV. As you probably know by now, I am a major supporter of first person, and this book was all the better for using it. If it had not been from a first person viewpoint - specifically Callie's - I feel as if I would not have liked this book very much.

The characters were 3-D and believable. They had their fears, their joys, their sad and happy memories. There was just enough tension and sadness to keep the story and plot rolling, without OD-ing.

This book was really mainly romance. There was an actual plot of course, trying to find out about the diary and who it belonged to... but it all spun back to romance: Heloise and Abelards, Callie's and August's, the owner of the diary's. If you don't like romance, then don't read. However if you are a hopeless romantic like me, I would suggest it. 

Oh, and I'm in love with August. NBD.

Rating: 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! It makes my day every time I get a new comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...