Friday, March 23, 2012

Book Review: Sisters Red


Title: Sisters Red
Series/Sequel? Unknown
Author: Jackson Pearce (and yes, Jackson is a Ms., not a Mr.)
Genres: Romance, Fairy tale retellings,  urban paranormal /fantasy
Age Level: YA (12-18)
Page Count: 324
Summary: Scarlett lives for the hunt. Ever since the Fenris - the werewolves - took her eyes and left her scarred, Scarlett had done all she can to exact her revenge, and save "Innocents", those that don't know about the Fenris, from being eaten.
Scarlett has help, though. Her little sister Rosie and best friend Silas have always helped with the hunt, working together seamlessly. But as Rosie helps her sister, she no longer because sure if hunting is the life for her, like it is for Scarlett - if Rosie wants love in her best friend instead of love in the hunt.

Review: The last book I read that's so good, it's had me reading till WAY past my bedtime, on the bus, and even hidden inside my textbook at school,  was Iron Daughter,  the second book of the Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa. And I'm sure many of you know how AMAZING that series is. But this book managed to do that.

This book is told by the alternating POVs of Rosie and Scarlett, with a prologue and an epilogue written in third person. I liked how unique their voices were. 

Scarlett's thoughts were constantly focused on the hunt - cold, calculating and unfeeling at times. She was constantly concerned about saving the people that didn't know about the Fenris. She also felt very protective and responsible for Rosie, her love for her sisters being the only thing that stood equal in importance to the hunt.

Rosie, on the other hand, was more concerned about what I consider the more regular things: love for her sister, cooking and baking, her cat Screwtape, her sister, and later on, her love for her boyfriend.

Both Rosie and Scarlett had deep, sisterly love for one another, saying that it had always seemed to them that they were two people sharing one heart. I loved how their love for one another made such an important point in this book. In many current novels, you normally read about romantic relationships, instead of familial ones. This was a fresh plot point, and I welcomed it greatly. 

I loved, at the same time, Rosie's romantic relationship with Silas. There wasn't really that much making out, but sweeter kisses and hugs, and I found that cute and totally "Awww!" worthy instead of the more sexual relationships that are common to read about today. 

All in all, this was an amazing book. If you haven't read it, I would suggest doing so ASAP!

Rating: 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! It makes my day every time I get a new comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...