Monday, March 19, 2012

Book Review: A Kiss in Time


Title: A Kiss in Time
Series? No
Author: Alex Flinn
Genre: Romance, Modern Fantasy
Age Level: YA (12-18)
Page Count: 371
Summary: In this retelling of Sleeping Beauty, typical high school guy Jack wants nothing more than excitement and freedom from his parents when he takes a trip to Europe for the summer. But even in Europe, all they do is look at boring museums. So when Jack fights his way through thick brambles and finds himself in what looks to be an abandoned theme park - like Colonial Williamsburg, but in Europe - what is he to think? Then he stumbles upon a huge castle, and finds a sleeping princess - and what can he do but kiss her? Soon enough, the princess Talia is awake, and forcing Jack to take her from her country and parents back to the states. Things get messy, though, when it turns out it's not just Talia's parents looking for them - it's an evil witch! Will love be enough to stop her and save Talia?

Review: I've read Alex Flinn's Beastly and I loved it - this was no different! (My love for it, I mean. Not the actual book.) 

 This book was split into three parts: part 1 Talia, part 2 Jack, part 3 Talia and Jack. Meaning, the first part was told in all Talia's point of view, the second part was told from Jack's POV, and the third part did every other chapter - Talia, Jack, Talia, Jack. I actually really liked this format, being able to see both character's perspectives on things - from their initial reactions to each other, to later on, when they began to develop feelings for each other.

Jack seems like the typical teenage guy, and in many ways is (read: concerned about drugs and girls) but he also has some deeper, more likable traits. I love how he had that one fear, the one thing he couldn't face, and you could tell that from just reading his character - before even reading where it was essentially spelled out for you towards the end of the book. Normally, it takes a series - and into the second half of the series - to really understand a character that well. I was really impressed by Ms. Flinn in terms of that. 

I was also impressed how... old-fashioned Talia was when she spoke, and in her thoughts. I'm a writer (as previously mentioned) and there are at least a couple of characters that are very old. When I try making them seem their age, however, I always run into problems. I loved how Alex Flinn managed to make Talia actually seem her age. 

There have been many, many different take-offs of the Sleeping Beauty fairytale. However, I feel as if this is one of the better ones. Make this part of your TBR pile - you won't regret it!

Rating: 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! It makes my day every time I get a new comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...