Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Book Review: The Evolution of Mara Dyer, by Michelle Hodkin

Title: The Evolution of Mara Dyer
Series/Sequel? Mara Dyer #2
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Genre(s): Hard Topics, Romance, Paranormal
Age Level: YA
Page Count: 527 (Hardcover)
Perspective: 1st person, female
Summary:  Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?


Review: In the first book, Michelle Hodkin weaves a deliciously creepy web of a story that gorgeously walks the line between reality and fantasy. And in this book, she does it again, only better. In the first book, there were a lot of problems with the way things were written, many parts that weren't laid out in the best way or passages that made little to no sense to me as the reader. In this book, she manages to keep the surreal quality while not having as many Wait, what? passages, though there were still a couple.

Another thing I loved about this was how much everything grew: from Noah and Mara's abilities to their relationship, to their characters themselves. You began to actually meet the characters, begin finding out who they were, and their reasoning behind many of their actions. Some of the whys of the previous book were answered as well, while leaving the reader with enough information to help them begin to understand, but withholding more in order to keep them guessing, and the tension and questions high. And while I thought the romance in The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer wasn't particularly well-written, Evolution definitely made up for it.

Another thing about this book: it's more than 500 pages. It felt like 350. I've read books that didn't even pass 450 that felt like 800. It is completely compelling and addictive, just as much, if not more so, than the first book. It was a good thing it was break week for me, because otherwise it would have been torture trying to go through classes with this in my backpack.

I can't wait for The Retribution of Mara Dyer, coming out Fall 2013! (Can't find the specific release date, unfortunately.)

Rating:

4.5


Quotes:

"'I like pushing your buttons.'"
"'You'd enjoy it more if I undid them first.'"
-Page 284, Mara and Noah respectively.

"'You will love him to ruins.'"
- Page 292

"As he stood there in his exquisite clothes, flawless features staring my down, he still looked like an arrogant prince. But only now I could see that his crown was broken."
- Page 347

"This was the boy I loved. A little bit messy. A little bit ruined. A beautiful disaster.
Just like me."  
- Page 353

"'I'm the creepy girl. In a mental hospital.'
 He grinned. 'Nobody's perfect.'"
- Page 452
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! It makes my day every time I get a new comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...